Cheap new craft for beginner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Illegal to distil in the UK without licence and strict rules I believe.

Mind you my American ancestry had a nice little old lady who made and sold moonshine during prohibition. Her clients were the great and the good of her town too. Did well out of it. Stories I've heard included a secret compartment in a certain item of furniture where she kept important paperwork. Probably money and her client's names / orders. Michigan I believe.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Farrier's hoof trimming knives are usually very hard steel and take a lot of abuse as you can imagine.
By the time a farrier starts a new knife, the old one(s) have a lifetime of wood carving left in them.
Change the bevel angle from 25 degrees to 12 degrees and carve spoons and kuksa with ease.
Look at the Frosst-Mora #171 to get an idea.

I can buy new Hall (Canada) farrier's knives for $50/30BPS each. Hard to resharpen, look like they will outlast me!
I give the local farrier $5/3BPS for the used ones. They need a very hot & soapy wash first!
I rough-shape the new bevel with a chainsaw file. Hard steel and hard work. Then sand papers for fine sharpening.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, these knives are very popular and common with the native carving community.
I've lost track of how many I've tuned up. I think I have maybe 15 in the box. Six more Hall knives just about finished.
One of mine is in the UK, one is in New York and another is in Shanghai.

Go visit a farrier. Your local horse race track even. You might get a "worn out" knife for nothing.

Reactions: Lithril

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Any craft is going to take time, effort and practice to become accomplished at, whether it's sketching, carving or whatever. The trick is to enjoy the process.
You'll be surprised how one thing will lead to another, and another and so on. You just have to see how some of the longer serving members of this forum have progressed over time.
Whatever you choose I hope you get much pleasure from it.

Dave

Reactions: Stew

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, look at all the new things I have had to learn as part of my studies. Who would believe that something very specific like archaeology would involve so much?

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
Knotting can lead you in many directions

Mojwifv.jpg

qyVPpZf.jpg

bFlX93R.jpg

Reactions: grip

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
IIRC as a kid we did something like that at school. Is it also called macrame? A 70s trend I think in the UK

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
You say you have limited outdoor space - a yard - so are you in a town or city? The reason I ask is that you might be restricted in terms of making noise if you have neighbours right beside you - your next door neighbour might soon tire of hearing you hammering metal on an anvil. Whereas other crafts such as whittling, cholrosing etc. as less intrusive.
Leather work and canvas work might be worth a look at, do it indoors or outdoors and store the materials and tools in a duffel bag under your bed since space is a premium.
If you follow the advice given by Bishop to improve your cooking skills, then you could put some planters in your yard and grow your own herbs. Why stop there, salad items are easy to grow too.
Another idea would be to look at the list of endangered crafts; this list has been compiled by the Heritage Crafts Association. Maybe something on this list would interest you. Here's a link to the list:
http://heritagecrafts.org.uk/redlist/list-of-crafts/
There are a hell of a lot of crafts on the list that I never knew were 'endangered'.
Let's know what happens :)

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Noise? Hmmm! Never thought I'd that issue. Mid terraced house in a small town. Nothing behind just either side. Mind you, even forging can't be worse than queen on karaoke machine on full volume like one neighbour used to do!

I don't believe anyone alive sounds good doing bohemian rhapsody on a cheap and nasty karaoke machine!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I used to run a course for teachers called Primitive Pottery.

It was based on the premise that the course members made all their own tools from basic easily available sources. Paper clips made cutting and carving tools and lolly sticks made modelling tools, for example. I taught the basic techniques of pinching, slabbing and coiling and then how to combine techniques for hand built pottery. I also showed how pottery could be fired without a kiln.

Although it would be possible to dig and process your own clay, I would not recommend this for a beginner because you need a particular type of clay for the techniques I describe but this is easily bought from a pottery supplier. Google one near you and ask them for a heavily cranked earthenware clay suitable for rain. Buy yourself one bag and give it ago.

You could combine this with some of the ideas in previous posts. Believe me, nothing beats eating soup you have made from vegetables you have grown from a bowl you have made with a spoon you have carved accompanied by bread you have baked yourself. Washed down possibly by home brewed beer,wine or cider.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"You could combine this with some of the ideas in previous posts. Believe me, nothing beats eating soup you have made from vegetables you have grown from a bowl you have made with a spoon you have carved accompanied by bread you have baked yourself. Washed down possibly by home brewed beer,wine or cider."
. . . . . and seasoned wit herbs from your own kitchen garden ( aka row of big pots).

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Tying paracord has to be the cheapest but I got bored quickly. Whittling is the one ... a Swiss Army Knife and the phone number of your local tree surgeon :)

Reactions: Janne

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oldtimer, that sounds a wonderful course. So many crafts seem to involve expensive kit...and yet they need not.

My Printing tutor runs a club on saturday morning for schoolkids. He does all sorts of clever things, involving cheap or easily obtained materials. His latest is Pop can pens. (look it up.)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Right, you've caught me on a quiet day on the rigs so lets get down and dirty shall we:

Sorry chap but asking what craft YOU should get into is rather like asking what your favourite colour should be based on what everyone else likes... What do YOU want to do?
I'm rather biased of course but if you want to forge then as the saying goes where there is a will there is a way. ;)

Having said that I fully appreciate your situation so we must be realistic. Spoon carving / wood work in general does indeed seem like a good way to go. BUT does that interest you? Do you think that will satisfy the desire to make things?
Me and Hamish (the Half Goat) were having a conversation the other day about materials and how wood doesn't do it for either of us. Leather is his thing; metal is mine. For some it's wood, for others it's fabric - my point being it's a very personal choice so if your heart isn't in it then is it worth investing your time into?

I won't pretend to know much about hitting wood with sharp and pointy bits of metal but I do know a little bit about hitting hot things with heavy blunt bits of metal.

Snappingturtle's set up is great. You don't need to over think what you need which is ultimately:
1. Something to get things hot (solid fuel or gas forge)
2. Something to hold the hot things (pliers, mole grips, tongs)
3. Something to hit the hot stuff with (hammer)
4. Something to hit the hot stuff on. (large sledge hammer head buried in a bucket of concrete)
5. A bucket of water (of the wet variety)
6. Suitable PPE - you've only got two eyes and ears so protect them at all times. (the serious type)

I've done videos on youtube about making a simple forge - https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/diy-blacksmithing-video-series.142844/

I used to work from my 6x8ft shed in the garden. You'd be very surprised how much I could fit in there. The forge went outside though. I was right in the middle of a very built up area but always tried to be considerate to the neighbours - only worked during office hours, never past 6pm and nothing on Sundays. Just speak to your neighbours - explain what you're doing and you should be fine.

Costs?? I'd imagine wood carving is the winner there in the long run but I dare say with a little creativity I could set up a solid fuel forge and start hitting metal for the same or less money than the cost of a decent axe and knife set.

Burning a solid fuel forge is a lot more romantic but it has a much steeper learning curve and smoke is often a big issue for some people. A gas forge might be a better alternative. As it happens I'm putting together a forge burner kit for sale very soon. :p

Give me a shout if you need any advice.

All the best
Andy

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
TBH it's ideas in looking for. As far as deciding which to do that's my choice.

That endangered list was interesting. It seems I've done a few as a kid. CDT and art classes in secondary school. Not much but a few.

Just heard about an archery shop opening up 2 miles away and a local club was started 2014. Before the shop and club opened up the nearest shop was half hour plus away and club not much nearer.

I wonder how hard it is to make bows? Nothing special just basic bows. IIRC there's a few on here that used to make them and shoot too.

BTW the local shop has a range and woodland walking range too. Interesting because I used to do it at university for a term.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE