GSI stainless frying pan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Size matters. I've lost count of the number of pans and sizes in my kitchen. Guessing 6" to 2-handed 15".
I have several, right around the 10" size because they get used more than all the others put together.
Bacon/sausage and eggs, side-by-side, one pan.
I read the specs. I like the folding handle. The wall is straight enough for flipping.
Looks good for the price, too.

Nomad666

Nov 6, 2015
BC Canada
thats one nice pan! I have a cheep dollar store stainless steel pan its heavy as it has a hollow handle but then I can put a stick in the handle and be away from the fire a bit I like it but it is just to heavy I would rather get a heavy duty titanium pan and will if I can find a quality one for the right price.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I ordered one this week, it came this morning. I will let you all know how I get on with it . I ordered the smaller 20 cm version
My first opinion is positive, it looks built to last a long long time

Reactions: Robson Valley

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Good stuff. I want to know how the inner coating performs.
Nonstick? Some work and some don't.
Tell us a story about bacon & eggs.

I cooked pancakes and bacon in it yesterday , it worked good no sticking . it was only on a small gas cooker tho . I will get it on a camp fire probaly one evening in the next week

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great news. I'm tempted. Did you happen to notice if the wire handle gets hot?

Just not a roaring signal fire but a little cooking fire.
I can taste it already.

Just after sunrise here, beams threaded through the big spruce trees. Breakfast time.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Great news. I'm tempted. Did you happen to notice if the wire handle gets hot?

Just not a roaring signal fire but a little cooking fire.
I can taste it already.

Just after sunrise here, beams threaded through the big spruce trees. Breakfast time.

Hi no handle was not hot , I did not have gloves on when I used at the weekend. Was no problem

Yeoman13

Nov 29, 2017
Canada
Looks like a good product. I have a similarly sized MSR but it’s stainless with no coating. Unfortunately the handle doesn’t fold, it only detaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've got a bunch of medium-sized pans. They are the best size, I might be using 2 or 3 at a time.
That's why this design caught my eye. Why I'm so interested in the performance.

I use wooden utensils of my own carving to extend the life of the inner surface coating.

I have 3 woks. Two of them are pushing 45 yrs old. Steel tools and non-stick seasoning.
I have yet to use any of them over a cooking camp fire of coals (never flames) but I should.

Reactions: salad

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I would be interested to know if the handles heat up when it's used on a wood fire.
I love the look of the pan.

I will let you as soon as I get out and make fire . I would imagine that as long as the handles are not directly Over the Fire it should be ok .
Although I would imagine that with time the rubber thst covers the handles will start to burn and deteriate.
I had an evernew ti pot for backpacking some years back woch also had rubber over the handles after 5 or 6 fires it was in a state so I just removed what was left of the rubber covering the handles

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
This ways is the best tasting fish!
Where is the Vodka? As we say in Sweden, 'Fish needs to swim'!
:)

I am not fond of Teflon/non stick surfaces. Scratches easily when you move around the food using your knife.
Quality seems to be excellent.

How heavy is it?

Edit: 675 grams. Heavy baby.

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
This ways is the best tasting fish!
Where is the Vodka? As we say in Sweden, 'Fish needs to swim'!
:)

I am not fond of Teflon/non stick surfaces. Scratches easily when you move around the food using your knife.
Quality seems to be excellent.

How heavy is it?

Edit: 675 grams. Heavy baby.

The pan is quite heavy , but it cooks super . The non stick coating g feels robust and even if it turns out not to be then it's no problem as it makes a good pan even without the coating .
It's hard to explain how they have done the coating but it feels kind of impregnated. Although I an not sure if that is the case

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Regarding the non stick. The question on everyone's lips is is the non stick fireproof, or is it one that is venerable to high temperatures? Does it scratch or chip, if you hit it or flex the pan?

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
20180109_184815.jpg
Regarding the non stick. The question on everyone's lips is is the non stick fireproof, or is it one that is venerable to high temperatures? Does it scratch or chip, if you hit it or flex the pan?

I have cleaned the pan with a green scouring pad to no adverse effects , I have yet to hit anyone with it so can not really say how it will hold up in a pitched battle

The above photo is a close up of the non stick etching

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE