Oak Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Lovely shaped spoons. They look quite pale at the moment, it would be interesting to see how they change with age and use.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nice design and I like the way they match. Draining spoon = nice touch = tortolini spoon!.
Do you happen to know if the wood is red oak or white oak?
White oak is waterproof ( the vessels are occluded by tyloses).

Red oak soaks up food juices very quickly with the big pores.
Some kind of Food-Safe sealer would be a plan. I just get concerned
about food juice bacterial decomposition inside the wood.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice design and I like the way they match. Draining spoon = nice touch = tortolini spoon!.
Do you happen to know if the wood is red oak or white oak?
White oak is waterproof ( the vessels are occluded by tyloses).

Red oak soaks up food juices very quickly with the big pores.
Some kind of Food-Safe sealer would be a plan. I just get concerned
about food juice bacterial decomposition inside the wood.

neither, they are from pedunculate oak (Quercus robur), ive used kitchen utensils made from oak for years and never had any problems.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, nice lines, the spoons look like a good matching pair. I use a couple of oak spoons that I made 15 years ago, they go in the dish washer, ones got a split but it's tight and works fine. These will last you years goodjob

Did you find them hard to carve, how did the edge on your tools stand up to the oak? Did you use a pattern or was this from your minds eye?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yeah, nice lines, the spoons look like a good matching pair. I use a couple of oak spoons that I made 15 years ago, they go in the dish washer, ones got a split but it's tight and works fine. These will last you years goodjob

Did you find them hard to carve, how did the edge on your tools stand up to the oak? Did you use a pattern or was this from your minds eye?

Started off as a design from my head, but liked the shape and made a template so i could replicate them, tools stood up ok as the wood was green at the time, perhaps just a little extra stropping to normal but certainly nothing excessive

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You are good at carving.

Have you ever tried making spoons from horn? Thats what we used to use. And animal horn is possible to get very, very thin and easy to bend.

Cheers Joe, have never had the opportunity to try horn unfortunately, would love to give it a go though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE