Socca

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yeoman13

Nov 29, 2017
Canada
It looks sort of like a chickpea version of naan bread. I’ll give it a go as one of my Venturer Scouts is gluten free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like to start with all fresh stuff and freeze what doesn't get eaten at the first meal.
I like all the different veg tails sticking out of the gram glob. Just me.

I don't know how fast the Gram pea flour hydrates.
Must look that up in McGee when I get home.
I suspect it's very slow like corn flour which makes DF batters crispy.

I'll thaw and then reheat pakora, covered in a 325F oven. I have a big microwave oven because
other people told me that I needed one. I don't use it. I am in no rush.

I make my own plum sauce. It ages and improves with time. On the last liter of 2014.
BUT, I scored a BIG basket of drippy over-ripe plums which are waiting in the freezer for me.

Reactions: Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tried the Socca yesterday - even my wife liked it!
We had it with home made soup and some cheeses and it was a great lunch.
I am trying to cut down on Gluten - it is supposed to be bad for arthritis - so Socca may become a regular now.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
So the recipe of one cup flour to one of water is improved by an extra splash of water. A teaspoon of curry powder added works well to compliment the flavour. Something was lacking before for me.

Also, for my pan size (10") I think cooking that amount in two separate breads is better than one thicker but then I've always preferred my pancakes thin not thick too!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good idea on the curry powder. I fancy that :) I liked the peaflour taste, but it's a bit like dahl, and that's always improved by curry :)
I meant to try it again and make it thinner, good to hear that it's another improvement. I like the thinner crispy bits but the thicker middle in mine was light and flufffy and I reckoned it'd be good for chutney, etc.,
I dug out the big cast iron saute pan earlier, I might try that in the oven tomorrow right enough.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Stew, I think you need to add some sort of a leavening agent to make the flour/water mix foam up.
You write that you don't use anything. And that works? Or are you using self-raising flour?

Yeast and a little sugar works but that takes time to get the yeast pharts going.
Baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, needs acid to release carbon dioxide and you have no acid ingredient.
Baking Powder is some soda plus a slow acting acid that reacts when wetted.

Maybe try 1 tsp baking powder for each cup of plain flour.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Stew, I think you need to add some sort of a leavening agent to make the flour/water mix foam up.
You write that you don't use anything. And that works? Or are you using self-raising flour?

Yeast and a little sugar works but that takes time to get the yeast pharts going.
Baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, needs acid to release carbon dioxide and you have no acid ingredient.
Baking Powder is some soda plus a slow acting acid that reacts when wetted.

Maybe try 1 tsp baking powder for each cup of plain flour.

No. Have you actually read the recipe and looked at the history of it?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
From Post No. 1
https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-ma...tbread-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-169513

530b26c2925e0a77ba780a0f82e093f169fd8aee

The basic batter is equal parts chickpea flour and water, with a few tablespoons of olive oil.
Let the batter rest for 30 minutes before cooking — this makes the interior creamy when cooked.
Preheat the oven to 230degC / 450°F and then heat a cast iron pan under the grill/ broiler for 5 minutes before cooking.
Grill/Broil the socca for about 7 minutes.
Socca success will look like crispy edges with a slightly blistered surface; the interior will be moist and creamy.

I made mine in a saute pan, had another go today, and Stew is right, it's good with curry powder, and it's also good with cheese :)

M

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
I made a version of this the other week, slightly different measurements from above though, 125g flour and some salt to 150g water. Left it for around 30 minutes, then added some olive oil (mainly as I forgot to add it earlier) chopped sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil and fried it on a high heat. It was rather nice.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Kepis also said to add more water, and I think you're both right, mine was nicer with more water in it. I like the tomatoes and basil idea too :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE