Comfort food choice for snow/icey weather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm glad I'm reading this just before I go to prepare cottage pie in my trusty old cast iron frying pan.

Minced beef, onions, mushrooms, beef stock, dash of tomato purée cooked on the hob. Then topped with mash, sprinkled with cheese and popped under the grill.

Prepared while drinking a glass of red wine while listening to the 6.30 radio four comedy slot. Mark Steele tonight

Wood burner already lit. Cosy. What's that newly fashionable word for this? No time to check as I'm off to the kitchen, but I bet I get the answer from one of you Scots on here by the time I've eaten!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just to add a couple more favorites I left out of the earlier post:

1-Chicken Pot Pie (Beef pot pies or Turkey pot pies are good too if you have leftover beef or turkey) Speaking of leftovers, I'd more likely shred leftover chicken for mine than cook chicken for it like they do in the video)

2-Chicken and Dumplings (again, I'd use shredded leftover chicken)

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm in a panic if I don't have the ingredients on hand for wine-braised game, beef if you have to.
Tenderizes over 3 hrs so don't ever use really good cuts = any old roast chunked up will do.
The kitchen smells of hot herbs and cooking meat for 3 hrs.
Then, go outdoors and do stuff, come in later and supper is in the stove.

What you-all show me is that I don't own enough cast iron. I need a pot. Lodge brand.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What is it with menfolks and brassicas ? they're good for you.
Son1 actually said to me, "I don't do brassicas Mum, I'll eat almost anything vegetarian, but I don't do brassicas".
I like brassicas, I like kale, cauliflower, cabbage, even broccoli :) but they don't do brassicas :sigh: and Himself's not keep on neeps neither.

I love them. Not so much as standalone veg on the side of my plate, but black cabbage or the green outer Savoy leaves, kale (ribs removed), sprout tops, spring greens, bok choi, mustard greens, preserved fermented Chinese. White or red cabbage needs a bit of extra treatment, usually involving vinegar, sugar, and some spices.

I reckon there are so many cabbage recipes is because it's generally not a favourite of many, but is nutritious and easy to grow.

Reactions: Toddy

nicksteele1990

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2016
Cheshire
Yesterday's dinner was turkey lasagne, made by my wife, which was a lovely thing to come back to at 9pm when it was utterly freezing. She made the whole thing from scratch, even the cheese sauce. I'm well proud of her :)

Tonight, beef cheeks braised for 3 hours in red wine, beef stock and tinned tomatoes, with mash. Lovely stuff.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I totally forgot to get red cabbage pickling ready for xmas this year :doh:

I love that stuff, staining my turkey meat, or cheese and bread. :)

I forgot the pickled onions, should have got them done a good month ago. I'll redeem myself with tons of chestnut stuffing.

Reactions: Robson Valley

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I love that stuff, staining my turkey meat, or cheese and bread. :)

I forgot the pickled onions, should have got them done a good month ago. I'll redeem myself with tons of chestnut stuffing.

I grew enough extra shallots for 2 big jars of pickled onions this year so I won't be totally pickleless. This is making me look forward to boxing day already :hungry:

Reactions: Toddy and Nice65

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I love them. Not so much as standalone veg on the side of my plate, but black cabbage or the green outer Savoy leaves, kale (ribs removed), sprout tops, spring greens, bok choi, mustard greens, preserved fermented Chinese. White or red cabbage needs a bit of extra treatment, usually involving vinegar, sugar, and some spices.

I reckon there are so many cabbage recipes is because it's generally not a favourite of many, but is nutritious and easy to grow.

Never seen or heard of black cabbage before. I need to try that. White cabbage is great stir fried (a relatively new way for me to eat it) When boiled I find it bestr seasoned the old fashioned way---with bacon grease. Alternatively saute it in bacon grease (better still if you leave bits of crispy, crumbled bacon scattered throughout the dish) Next up would be in soup with crumbled tinned corned beef and corn and tomatoes. And of course who could forget putting it in the pot with a fresh corned beef and some potatoes to boil.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We get Hereford brand(?) corned beef in cans from Brazil/Argentina. Look that same as they did 60 years ago.
Mom made "corned beef and cabbage" which I quite liked. So I bought the fixin's. All in the toilet.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Cavolo nero. Black cabbage or black kale.
Used to grow it. My tastebuds are not refined enough to taste much difference between normal kale and the black one.
Looks kool though!

I love corned beef. There is a New Zealand brand that is fantastic, the can has large chunks iof meat, mixed with smaller chunks. Expensive though. The brand is Palm.
I have a few tins in our hurricane emergency box.
After hurricane season we enjoy it gently fried with a fried egg, sunny sude up, and some ketchup (wife) and home made Scotch Bonnet sauce (both)

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Cheese.
Cheese on toast.
Onion soup with thick slices of cheese on toast.
Shepards/Cottage pie topped with cheese.
Jacket potatoes with chilli and cheese.
Pie and cheesy mash.
Alternatively my dad's beef casserole or brown stew, with plenty of buttered bread.

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
OK talking brassica, white cabbage. Cut into wide strips and eaten raw with salt. I am that weird!

Turkey mince and westmoreland sausages with the skin removed made into a meat loaf. Make it the night before, chill out overnight in the fridge then cook it on the oven slowly over possibly an hour. I personally use greaseproof paper to line the loaf tin and cover the loaf completely. Then open the top near the end to crisp up, possibly turning the oven up a bit.

I think the turkey is a lower fat option and I choose good old Booth's sausages for the very high meat content.

BTW please Booth's, don't sell out. In the northwest England they're a special supermarket chain that has been around for hundred years or so and is currently family owned. Very special in these globalised, big corporation times.

Reactions: Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Another cabbage favorite of mine is Stuffed Cabbage. I never had it until I enlisted so it's not really a "comfort food" I remember from childhood but it is especially warm and comforting in the cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE