Ferrets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ferretracer

Nov 16, 2012
basingstoke
Just wondering who keeps them. I currently have 18 ranging from 2 years old to 5/6 years of age, owned over 50 different one,s in the last 18 years.
Mainly kept as pets first and foremost and treated very much part of the family. I also do a spot ferreting with them a well in the winter months.
But in the summer months well march-october il mainly be at some village fete, country/county show ferret racing and promoting ferrets in general and educating the public about them. Also do the odd evening racing event for company doo,s, weddings, fundraisers etc.
Also promoting the rescue ferret, Most of mine have been rescue ferrets. They are wonderful animals and a pleasure to (well to be owned by).

Reactions: Lou

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Sounds like you do some good work for the ferret community, well done.

My sons got a couple, one's a rescue. Funniest pets you can find, better than the tv, that's if they're awake :)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Used to have a puckle futtricks mainly for working but great pets too. I don't have any now but stil knit nets for a friend and love a days ferreting. :)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I don't keep them but I do have the magic ability to attract them for some reason. I've found 2 loitering in my garden at separate times, both albinos. The first time I made some phone calls and a local guy came and took it. Then oddly the second time I assumed it was the same ferret and rang him again but apparently the previous one was still safely behind bars so he got another one for free. Both were friendly little guys and let me pick them up without protest.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
We had 3 line ferrets but sadly one died aged about 6 but we still have two in a outside pen with open access these are big old boys in the winter they pile the pounds on get up to over 1 1/2 Kilos, when we lived in our last place they made friends with a blackbird that would sing for them and they would chatter and dance and share their kibble it was amazing to watch,they are getting on now but still very active and still keep you on your toes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Maybe not the thread to ask, but, knowledgeable folks and all that.

We're having a problem with rats. They keep coming back to one, and only one, compost bin. I'm at the stage of redding that one out in it's entirety and shifting it to a colder spot in the garden.
We emptied the bin, laid slabs below it, and replaced it....and the rats still come back. Our garden runs along side a nature walk/woodland and a burn, so killing them off entirely is probably a forlorn hope.
I don't leave food around for them, so there's only the peelings, etc.,(vegetarian household in the main, no other food scraps) in the compost bin, and it's probably warmer than elsewhere around.

Would ferret scat deter them ? I know at least one neighbour who has ferrets at times, and I'm pretty sure that even if he doesn't have any just now he'll know who does have some.

I have used poison bait in the past to clear out the bin, but I'm quite aware that the rats crawl off to die elsewhere and I really don't want to poison if I can help it.
If I can discourage them instead, so much the better.

M

ferretracer

Nov 16, 2012
basingstoke
Ferret poop can work I have supplied to a few over the years most recent was my nieces yard where she keeps her horse. And I supplied a load of sawdust from the litter trays and some used from there bedding(she used this in the hay and feed storage barn). And touch wood so far it has worked but rats can be stubborn buggers and some dont seem to care what you put down. The best thing for a rat is a lump of lead(22 variety) or good terrier/terriers

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye, I'm inclined to agree. We gave away the airguns though, and we don't have a dog.

I think the ferret's bedding and the litter tray contents might be worth trying. The compost heaps heave with brandling worms, and they devour anything that gets put in there, turning it into really good worm worked compost.

Thanks for the help :)

Reactions: Lou

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
I've kept ferrets off and on for over 30 years i used to do quite a bit of ferreting but not so much now at the moment my son has two they are great fun and are a pleasure to have. Sadly they seem to attract idiots too which is borne out by the numbers in rescue centres across the country.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Myself and a mate used to have six ferrets between us that were part of a rabbiting team. We could be found early mornings during the winter out in the fields with pockets full of ferrets, my two lurchers and a trio of Harris Hawks. When all went well we were an efficient team, when not so well it was a bit like a cartoon sketch. Picture the scene: a ferret coming out of a hole pushing a rabbit that is being pulled out by a Harris hawk which is being “assisted” by a lurcher which is being “encouraged” out of the same hole by the other two hawks!

As Harris hawks will go down burrows in pursuit of prey and will work as a team, it sometimes lead to an interesting situation!

Good days though!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
We don't keep ferrets these days but we did for years. Mother used to breed fancy rabbits, we got rats, we got ferrets, we let the ferrets run free in the rabbit shed (the rabbits were obviously securely caged), we got rid of the rats.

I'll be honest, I never really liked our ferrets that much, but I guess that's because they were just a chore for me. Beautiful creatures though.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I write this with a heavy heart ,mister white died today he was not himself the last few days so were taking him to the vets today but sadly he passed away he was 7 so now we have one cookie

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sorry for his loss, Mick, it's never easy, eh? But seven is a ripe old age for a hob and he'd never have got near that without the care you gave him.

Reactions: woodstock

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Thanks all it was like losing a friend Mr white was my ferret and very laid back always up for a cush he was the only one that did not play fight me he would just role over for a belly tickle and his little foot would be going like the clappers I have tears in my eyes writing this his spirit will be sorely missed by me we had a real bond, happy hunting little fellow.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry to hear of your loss Woodstock :sigh:
Never easy when a friend like that passes away.
Seven years is a very good life for a ferret though, and knowing you it'll have been a good life right enough.

M

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Thanks Mary, we are bringing cookie inside a lot more so he has company he has never been alone so we are his ferret family now, we had a little play fight today and a big snuggle licking my face and nibbling my ear lobes, they are so affectionate and we pour love on them, they have never felt anger or hostility in their entire life only love.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE