A Walk in The Hills and Woods (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We live in a beautiful part of the country in the rolling hills of Montgomeryshire. On a day like today it would be a crime not to get out and just take in the scenery; it’s all too easy to take it all for granted when we see it every day.

10 - IMG_1863 - 1024 - 25.jpg Our wood is just over the hill North West from the house; 500m the way the crow flies but the gate into the wood is nearly a kilometre away – a nice walk. The view South East from the hill behind the house is towards Llanymynech, then Whitchurch, and eventually Crewe. You can just see the roof of our house with smoke from the chimney in the bottom right.

11 - IMG_1866 - 1024 - 25.jpg
From the top of the hill looking North the Berwyn looks magnificent in its winter blanket.

12 - IMG_1868 - 1024 - 25.jpg

The small copse of Sitka Spruce on the top is at the start of our wood; it’s the only ‘planted’ area the rest being naturally regenerated.

13 - IMG_1873 - 1024 - 25.jpg

The snow had drifted at the gate to the wood – in most places it was between 8 and 10 inches deep but in places and around the gate it was up to my knees.

14 - IMG_1878 - 1024 - 25.jpg

The snow had fallen without the slightest breeze, so every branch was laden. I had to be careful not to touch any overhanging branches because when I did I got completely covered!

15 - IMG_1881 - 1024 - 25.jpg

The wood was in velvet silence that only a snow blanketed wood can be. The silence was only broken by the croaking of a raven or the mewing of a buzzard – and then, out of all proportion to it’s size, the scolding of a wren that decided I was trespassing.

16 - IMG_1887 - 1024 - 25.jpg

The view from our camp looking West is stunning. In summer the sun sets down this valley and evenings at the camp are wonderful but, at this time of year, being North facing, the wood doesn’t see the sun.

17 - IMG_1902 - 1024 - 25.jpg

Climbing back out of the wood in the snow is hard going; the tracks are typically 1 in 4. Just as I was reaching the top the sunshine beckoned and gave renewed energy!

18 - IMG_1908 - 1024 - 25.jpg

And back out into a completely different world heading home.

Cheers,

Broch

Reactions: Toddy and Nomad64

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Lovely. :)

Really cold and wet here. The wind is quite painful to walk in as it's blowing off ground that's been sleeted on all morning.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful bit of the world you live in :D
It's looks enchanting in your photos too. The house looks snug tucked away downhill in the trees there as well.
Thank you for sharing :cool:
M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If it's been cold with no snow melt at all, head out on your track again.
Hopefully, you will find humps in the snow, made from snow-covered heaps of brush.
Walk up near each one and look down at the middle/top. Look for a "chimney-hole"
If/when you find such, some small animal is taking shelter form the weather under there.

Here, when it's been really cold (-20C and colder for many days,) those little chimneys are lined
with exquisite ice-feathers from the condensation from the occupant's breathing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE