Bison Butchering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp

I live in the Yukon, I also hunt bison from time to time (although moose is my go to meat). My experience is once one goes down, the rest of the herd head for the horizon as soon as they see you. The guy wounded it and ended up in close proximity to a wounded animal....it attacked him....and then he milked the experience for all it was worth. He’s lucky to have walked away. 30-06 with 180 grain bullets works tickety boo. They taste amazing, but older bulls are tough. I’d say a cow moose is a more dangerous animal.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hunters all over the Pacific Northwest get far more experience with moose than they ever will with bison.
Cow moose are so herbivore unpredictable that I can agree they are about the most dangerous game up here.
180gr are the true show-stoppers. Down-range foot-pounds is the insurance.
My Rem700BDL in .30-'06 did 165gr best on paper at 200m. 180 for the real field hunting.

Friend had to work outdoors ( hydro? telephone?) with some 100M off-road walks to equipment stations.
One cow moose decided that the 100M trail was HERS and HERS ALONE. Had to go in groups of people!

Learned that I can likely add pork and goat to my bartering list so expect to put my name in for Bison for February.
The variety (venison, moose, elk, lamb, chickens plus the pork and now the goat) makes me think the price will be OK.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Goat is nice. The young ones cook like lamb, same spices and herbs. Old goats are best curried Jamaican style.

If you ever need Caribbean receipes ( have Jamaican, Cayman, Cuban, Haitian, ) PM me.

Jamaican Curried Goat ( NOT Goat Curry!) is the tastiest.
Haitian grilled Goat the most Paleo, like the country itself.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I buy eggs and chickens from locals. They said they would likely get 2 small pigs and 2 goats.
We have bartered before so we both know what we are getting.

The goat is new and thanks for the recipe offers, I won't forget.
My brother lives in Freeport, GB so I'll get him to keep an eye out for recipes, also.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE