Jankki

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Bugs = protein = food of the future.

Click on the link I provided and you can see rye bread type bannock.

Man of Tanith, you are inching towards a cuban Sofrito!
Delicious!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Canadian bacon, thick-sliced Mitchell brand is all I buy.
The rye bannock mix needs to be compatable with cooking sized camp fires.
The store-bought stuff showed 58% rye. I'll do 30% and see how it goes.
I have no cultural baggage. If it tastes really good, I'm done and will post formula.

Reactions: Janne

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not quite. Sorry to be pedantic, but it's not the same.
British 'back bacon' has developed over centuries, and it is preferred that it contains both the loin cut that is the Canadian bacon as well as the start of the streaky that is the American bacon.

That said, we also have streaky bacon rashers, and Ayrshire bacon (which is round) and Nidderdale, which is also round but not Ayrshire....then you have to multiply those throughout the land with every country having their own particular cures, cuts and flavours.
Bacon is a national institution here.....and don't get me started on beef ham and it's varieties too :)

http://www.englishbreakfastsociety.com/back-bacon.html

p.s. Sam, I am really sorry, this thread has diverged again. We need to pester an Admin to seperate it, unless you can work it out.
M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No, the American Pork s dry salted, very fatty bacon. With a very thick layer of fat, and very little meat.

As I wrote I have not seen it since 45 years or so, I do not think it is being produced anymore.
Pigs are bread to have as little fat as posdible these days.
Even the American pigs are leaner.

That's called "salt pork." Yeah, pigs have been bread lean for the past 75 years or so (ever since vegetable oil replace lard as the prefered cooking oil)

The Cordon Bleu chef school baking textbook (W. Gisslen) is my source. He says that most alternatives are
best done with no more than 20% additive flour. I have every reason to think that the specialty flour that I buy
is 100% buckwheat. That becomes 25% of my pancake mix flour blend....

I was talking about commercial pre-made pancake mix; not the mix you make at home from scratch. ANY wheat flour (or even processing the Gluten Free stuff in the same facility) will contaminate a recipe for a celiac.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not exactly the same, but virtually.....
Nothing is exactly the same on both sides of the Atlantic, not even Worcestershire Sauce!

There is also a cheap version called Canadian bacon, consists of pieces of pork meat in a casing, and sliced up. Maybe 3 inches or so across.

We have your Salt Pork here, but it is wet. The American Pork was much dryer. Maybe it is because it is vacuum packed these days?
I use the Salt Pork to fry cubed on a skillet, then crack a couple of eggs over.
Nice!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......We have your Salt Pork here, but it is wet. The American Pork was much dryer. Maybe it is because it is vacuum packed these days?
I use the Salt Pork to fry cubed on a skillet, then crack a couple of eggs over.
Nice!

Our salt pork was so named because it was nothing more than slabs of pork (bacon, hog jowl, or whatever similar streaky bit) packed in barrels of salt (a layert of salt then a layer of meat and repeat until a final top layer of salt as a means of preserving it over the winter. It would have been very dry and much, much saltier than what's available today.

Today it's used to season vegetables (either fry up a few slices then add the meat and grease to said vegetables before cooking or just add the raw slices)

Come New Year's day the tradition is to use hog jowl (salted or unsalted) to both season the blackeyed peas and the collard greens (some families use mustard or turnip greens or even cabbage instead but collards are by far the most common) a few slices cooked alone. The meal is symbolic for the new year: the greens signify money (wealth) The hog jowl also signifies prosperity (meat and fat) while the blackeyed peas are for good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE