Austrian Army Alpine sweater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IamRon

Oct 26, 2017
'Straya
Hi,

On discharge from the Austrian Army I 'lost' my Alpine sweater and it became a trusted companion for almost twenty years. A few months ago my car was stolen. Couldn't give a crap about the car (the insurance company paid) but in the boot was my old Alpine sweater ... Now I'm desperately looking for a replacement but all the I can find is sized S or M (I need at least L, better XL - in Alpine Sweater sizing V or VI), the 'copy' from Mil-tec or the (original?) USD 300 plus shipping version through sweaterchalet. USD 300 ... plus shipping ... the idea makes me dizzy. Now ... does anybody out there know of some surplus shop that still carries the original in L/XL (V or VI)? is anybody out there thinking of selling their original L or XL version? Does anyone know how the Miltec version compares to the original (On German sites the Mil-tec version appears to be nicknamed 'Muell-tec' - literally Rubbish-tec. Not very promising ...)? Or would anyone know of something similar issued in some other army? Or as a last resort ... is there anything modern that comes close to the original Alpine sweater? Years ago I bought a synthetic down jacket but I never liked that plasticky feel. It was warm but not cosy warm if that makes sense, and eventually, after little use, the fibres broke down and lost their insulation.

Would really appreciate your help!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Give Kev a call at Endicotts.
He is in store on a Friday, or Paul may be able to help today.
Send him my regards if you do.
Best.
Chris.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Welcome to forum.

Really feel for you losing it, superb bits of kit, the dogs danglies!

Great ideas above, also keep a look out on eBay, they do turn up. Good luck.

IamRon

Oct 26, 2017
'Straya
Thanks for your replies guys!

@Dogoak - they are beyond superb! Best piece of clothing I ever had! I've never been able to rely on a piece of plastic kit as much as that old wool rag.
@Chris the cat - will do! Thanks! Any potential source is great news!
@nitrambur - I actually ordered one from there recently but whilst their customer service was excellent (easy communication, US to Australia in three days) the Large is in fact a S / M. I put that down to a size conversion issue since the Army sizing doesn't follow the civil sizing system. It's real easy getting confused with that. I can post a link from a German forum if someone needs it.
@Toddy - Good link! I will look into that. They seem to have good products at decent prices.

Keep it coming please!!

IamRon

Oct 26, 2017
'Straya
I replied yesterday but for some reason my post never appeared. Anyways,

First Thanks for your replies!

-> Toddy: Thanks for the link! I will check it out. Seems to be good stuff at decent prices. Am I right in saying those guys are the makers of the issued British wool jumper? From what I gathered the British version is pretty tough in terms of durability?
-> nitrambur: I had actually ordered a replacement from the guys at swisslink. Excellent customer service and US to Australia in three days! However, what they advertise as size L is in fact S / M. It has to do with the fact that the issued stuff uses different sizing (but the with the same numbers) to the civilian system. I.e. a size 54 on the issued stuff is different to a size 54 civilian. With the S barely covering my beer barrel I had to return it.
-> Chris the Cat: Thanks for the link! I will send them an email. Currently names for any possible source are most welcome!
-> Dogoak: Superb is quite an understatement!

Does anyone have any comments on the new Mil-tec version? How does it compare to the original? Knock off not worth the money or comparable? After having read some comments on the Mil-tec copy in other corners of the web I'm not sure if the new version can compare.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up, IamRon (or should I say Gruess Dich?!)

You could try the BH surplus shop in Lerchenfelder Strasse Wien.

I can't remember the name of the shop and I can't get the resolution on Google earth to identify it. I think that I did mention the name of the shop in a thread on here some time afterwards but not sure which thread.

You could phone Steinadler Versand (Vienna branch) tel:+43 50 6780 who sell the Miltec version and are listing one today in size 54 (L I think) and if you don't fancy that size (or price!) ask to speak to Stephanie and she might give you the name/telephone for the surplus shop in Lerchenfelder.

I was in the Lerchenfelder shop year before last and it was an Aladdins cave of BH surplus. I bought a brand new old stock alpine jacket. They had loads of new and used alpine woolies but I just couldn't strecth to both at the time.

PS. Warning! Steinadler is mainly a commercial, aftermarket military clothing store and sell some very nice stuff, very useful for bush-crafting but it is expensive! If you browse their site I can't be held responsible for your subsequent actions! :lmao:

Servus!:)

IamRon

Oct 26, 2017
'Straya
Seavas Jaga,

Good on ya! I'm gonna send Jotex (quick Google search BH shop Lerchenfelder strasse revealed the name) an email to see whether they can make an exemption to their no mail order policy.

'If you browse their site I can't be held responsible for your subsequent actions!' - Meh, doesn't tickle me. You gotta be able to carry all the crap ya buy.

IamRon

Oct 26, 2017
'Straya
Hi guys,

Still sh*** outta luck. What's on offer (if international shipping is an option) is the new Miltec version (by far not as good as I heard) or small sizes. I'm currently contemplating whether to bite the bullet at sweaterchalet (about GBP 280) or get a couple of wooly pullies from outdoor knitwear (about GBP 50). The wooly pully appears to have solid reputation plus I can get them new, not second hand, washed incorrectly and potentially shrunk to kids' sizes. 1 - What are your experiences with layering a couple of wooly pullies? 2 - What am I gonna be more happy with in the long run factoring in comfort, durability, washability?

I also had a look at some of the expensive plastic stuff on offer in those shiny 'outoor' shops but ... nah ... mid layer is wool for me!

Have a good one everyone!

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
I have one of these and a bunch of top of the line wool stuff from places like Filson. I think you can get similar warmth and function by combining Norwegian style sweaters with a thick wool shirt for the outer. You could even do two wool sweaters of one medium or light and a heavier outer one. I honestly don't wear the Austrian one much at all. Don't find it that versatile.
Have you ever considered going to a goodwill store and getting a much larger wool sweater and felting it down yourself? You have to keep an eye on it, but it can be done. If you ruin it you're not out much money.

IamRon

Oct 26, 2017
'Straya
Found one on ebay!!! Yay! It's the 2017 version of the 'Feldpullover', exactly like in Dogoak's link. Initial observations: The elbow protectors are rather oddly placed in line with the shoulder pads, so on top of your arm instead of on the back. Who came up with that? It's nice and heavy (same weight as the old one) but feels unusually soft. I guess that's because I was so used to the old scratchy one. I'm really hoping it's gonna be at least half as durable as the old one.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE