Sawn Scoop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
This afternoons project, small scoop made using just a saw, a band saw in this case because its there and it made life easier, but this could be made in the field with just a bowsaw or a small folding saw.

The only other thing i used was a bit of wood glue, but this could be substituted for pine pitch, or you could awl some small holes with a sharpened piece of bone or antler and use small wooden pegs to secure the sides.

Raw material in this case starts as an offcut of 4 x 2" waste timber, but you could easily use a small log.

20171123_142557 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

All marked out and ready to saw

20171123_143311 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Basic shape all sawn out

20171123_144103 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Inside cut out and the handle given a basic shape

20171123_144829 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

20171123_144853 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

match the sides back up and glue it all back together

20171123_144920 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

20171123_150615 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Im now waiting for the glue to dry to i can whittle all the sharp corners off and give it a light sanding, then i dont know what im going to do with it.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Looking good so far! A bandsaw looks to be a useful addition to the workshop - I can think of several jobs that would be made so much easier if I had one.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers chaps, was fun making it, if i feel up to it later i might venture back out and get it finished off.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Let you off this time :p

Seroiusly mate - I do like your design..... I'm not a huge fan of the ones where the drawer hole is in the middle of a block so you have the saw curf glued closed to be honest (my ocd neatness kiks in...) so the way the base si separate and meant to be joined looks better in my view.

I keep meaning to have a go at one but my bandsaw drifts a little too much :(

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Let you off this time :p

Seroiusly mate - I do like your design..... I'm not a huge fan of the ones where the drawer hole is in the middle of a block so you have the saw curf glued closed to be honest (my ocd neatness kiks in...) so the way the base si separate and meant to be joined looks better in my view.

I keep meaning to have a go at one but my bandsaw drifts a little too much :(

The design came as way of a mistake, it was supposed to be a hole in the middle then glued up. but i screwed the turn up, so figured id put it on a plinth, like you i prefer it, i like the ones that are open on one side too, my saw used to drift until i started using quality blades, i used to use Axminster blades, but i get mine from Tuffsaws now http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/, the chap there is a fountain of knowledge and very helpful.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I think you may be right regarding the blade - I'll give them a looksee, cheers.

What tooth blade are you using out of interest?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I think you may be right regarding the blade - I'll give them a looksee, cheers.

What tooth blade are you using out of interest?

I use 6tpi for everything, 1/2" blade for ripping, 1/4" blade for twists and turns

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Same as me then - I tend to keep the 1/4" on most of the time though. Guess who will be going shopping once he has checked the length he needs :27:

I really should get my second saw from mums garrage at some point then I can have one size on each :banghead2: - plus I will just need to clear the workshop enough to fit it in........

Reactions: Kepis

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The blades ive been using from Tuffsaws are the the Super Tuff Premium, seem to last ages, they are slightly thicker than most of the blades, but work really well.

Reactions: g4ghb

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
The blades ive been using from Tuffsaws are the the Super Tuff Premium, seem to last ages, they are slightly thicker than most of the blades, but work really well.

Thanks for the recomendation - I was dithering between types I confess.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE