Parking woes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a house, though as you know I ran away from home yonks ago...

I do intend going back some day...

The loal council are putting double yellow lines outside...just mine. (But I live right opposite the school entrance, with all that implies)

Unlike many in my street, I have no off street parking. I have explained this, but they do not listen.

What can I do?

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
If you can fit off road parking, it may be your only option. Just a way for the council to make a few quid on installing a dropped kerb:frown:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
having installed a drop kerb last year........

you need a license from the council to do this.

you must leave a 200 quid deposit with them.

you then employ your own builders to do the work at your own cost

the council will then inspect all works

if they are satisfied it is done to the standard they require, you get your 200 quid deposit back

good luck with the red tape :(

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
You need to re-read your highway code. Double yellow lines outside a school means reserved parking for white Range Rover drivers. Just get an Evoque and you'll be fine. :)

Seriously though from experience Highways departments are impossible to deal with at the moment. The only people who seem to have any sway over them are local councillors. Find out who deals with your area and lobby them to try and talk some sense into Highways and you might stand a chance. Give them a good sob story about your elderly nan struggling to get to your house or something, or point out the loss of property value, whatever you think will help.

Off road parking requires planning approval usually and again Highways will give you a headache trying to get that approved. You need to show that you can achieve 2.4mx43m clear vision splays in both directions and that it won't compromise pedestrian safety. Dropped kerbs are usually easy enough to sort out around here once you get past the other requirements. I'm working to Welsh parking rules here which might be different to England.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I think this is a new policy regarding schools, the Idea is to stop the kids being dropped off from cars at the school gate, and to force them to walk so they get a bit of exercise, and of course to try and ease the congestion and pollution around the schools,. I doubt any talks to the local councillors etc, will do any good as I think this is Government Policy, and they probably get money from central Government to paint the yellow lines on the road, And as most of the kids will be dropped off just around the corner, you can expect the yellow lines to start spreading.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'll take a picture of the entrance to the Rolls Royce factory entrance that's just down the road from me at school tipout time. It's actually quite heartening and a tribute to the factory that the gates are nigh on blocked twice a day by cars, kids and mums to allow the children to school. I don't know if it's a deliberate policy, but it's been happening for many years with no fuss.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE