Nunas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
New project, I'll update as I go.

38314944071_45ea47742e_c.jpg

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks like a proper knife! Finger guard is a great addition and sadly uncommon nowadays.

I can see the Hitler youth inspiration but if you add some antler handles you could edge towards the puma white hunter look.. ;)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Looks like a proper knife! Finger guard is a great addition and sadly uncommon nowadays.

I can see the Hitler youth inspiration but if you add some antler handles you could edge towards the puma white hunter look.. ;)

Agreed! a small finger guard is very handy on a woodland / survival style of knife I think its benefits out weight the negatives, the main style of the handle is Germanic they use the fish bell with bird beak pommel a lot.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
hand filed the bevels and just started machining (bench sander) to finish plus finale flattening of handle done by hand

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
A bit more done and for me the thing that makes a knife come to life, heat treatment! this is when you find if its going to work and how hard it will be then on to finish the profile, bevel and surface. I also do the edge by hand with diamond files this way I control the edge transition and gauge edge quality.

38225554564_8ab7218659_c.jpg

Last edited:

Bobc

Jul 8, 2015
Yorkshire
Looks great so far, will look forward to seeing it finished
A bit more done and for me the thing that makes a knife come to life, heat treatment! this is when you find if its going to work and how hard it will be then on to finish the profile, bevel and surface. I also do the edge by hand with diamond files this way I control the edge transition and gauge edge quality.

IMG_20171209_191641 by peter charles fitzroy-toy, on Flickr

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Now the main points are done, I have been refining plunge line, edge, surface and flatness and finish, plus what wood I will use, also its a bit of a test blade as its flat ground from 5-1.7 mm with a scandi edge, so far its working well.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice mate. The wood, I love Wenge, is spot on, as is the blade. The guard would be straight on my grinder, they get right in the way of food prep and are meant for fighting knives, stabbing or countering. However, should you be arthritic etc and unable to grip a handle tight, then it's a good solution. It's a good job. :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Guards and finger choils are the bees knees! function and form. ;)

Looking great so far, curious to what kind of sheath youll choose for it. perhaps even a scabard?

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Thanks guys been a long project this one! I don't think a finger guard is just for a fighting knife for sure its out of vogue but I find it more as a good pivot point and a sound indexer for the blade and a good stop for the handle, Its was using my mora's that made me think of my old scout knife and how that little brass plate guard had been so useful! As for my grip master Nice, I have the grip of a tyre fitter!:p no truly I do! an the forearms of a mechanic, guess what I used to do!
Samon you have powers! I have been thinking scabbard every time I look as it!

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The only criticism I can think of is that you have designed in a fracture point by that small indent just where the edge finishes, befpre the guard.
Not that you will ever put on that much force, but anyway........

It is a truly pro job!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Many thanks gents! It's fine Janne darling, It has a radius! :p Ah yer scabbard next, hope the last bit of wenge is big enough if not have to re think it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE