Most hard wearing and Long lasting clothing you own ( and the shortest before thrown)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Swedish army leather coat, think of the red baron and you have the look of it spot on, not the longest in my possession or use, not sure how many years I'v had it, but its maybe WWII and the oldest thing I use

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Arktis/Country Covers - Jacket, trousersand multi-pocket waistcoat - they seem indestructible!! My Swanndri Ranger is knocking on a bit now and still in great order. Many moons ago I got a Barbour Solway Zipper for my 18th Birthday - I had grown out of it by the time I was 30 so it was handed on - it was still very serviceable though.

IamRon

Oct 26, 2017
'Straya
longest - Army wool jumper. it was issued to me used so I guess at least 10 others wore it before me, and I had it for almost 20 years until my car was stolen - with the jumper in the boot. Also: Army boots.Again issued not second hand but probably tenth hand. I had them now for the same 20 years, resoled a handful of times, still going strong, use them in average two days in week for all kinds of work and bush walking. Of the non-issued stuff Asics trail running shoes seem to take more than their competitors. I had a couple of pairs for five to seven years (I admit with the help of some super glue) Berghaus backpacks have lasted me twice as long as others at half the price. Got two Carinthia sleeping bags. Man they were expensive but I got one for 14 years and the other one for 19 years now. Whilst their insulation has suffered a bit over the years they are still doing the job, and I use them A LOT!

Shortest - pair of Nike trail running shoes. Two weekends and they were completely wrecked. Paid AUD 200 for them so would have expected to get at least a few months out of them. Unfortunately I agree with Robson valley on Columbia. Never got my money's worth. Looks the part but doesn't last. I guess it's designed for the summer vacation warrior that uses his gear once a year and still gets his three to four seasons worth.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Best : My filson tin cruiser jacket. Looks better every year. Transition from walking the dogs, in the woods to the town without looking out of place.

Worst : a pair of Nike running shoes. Left them in the cupboard over winter. Came back and the soles had desintergrated off of them. Intp powder!

“Buy cheap, buy twice”

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Don't laugh.. Regata green cargo pants, eight years many adventures and still going.
Worst: Highlander Gaiters, plastic buckles broke getting them out of the packaging.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Shortest was a supposed military issue poncho that lasted nearly 20 minutes before splitting. I should have been warned off by the price.:cautious:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Helly Hanson lifa long sleeve top. So far it has no sign of wear (other than the smelly Helly aspect) after 33 years! Admittedly I don't use it as much but it did see some very hard use for a long time.

Worse item has to be a merino wool base layer. It failed after one winter. Basically any area where my rucksack contacted my back didn't wear through my outer layers (winter = at least a warm softshell jacket) but wore through the base layer against my skin in less than 3 months.

Footwear - good was a scarpa trek attack 3/4 season boots lasted 7 years. Worse was the updated version lasted 18 months before the sole cracked across the forefoot. Even worse the same boot model I replaced the second pair with lasted at most 3 weeks over one year.

Fell shoes - innov8 roclites 315 IIRC lasted 6-7 months. Replacements less than 3. Replacements 2 months. Switched to montrail highlanders. First pair nearly lasted a year, second pair lasted over 9 months. Third pair never existed because montrail stopped making them and everywhere had sold out. Switched to Walsh trail shoes (stopped making them now) lasted 6 months. Seriously hard user of fell shoes. Used them for everything from walking, challenge walks (up to 50 miles in less than 18 hours) and backpacking in places from lakes to Scotland.

Usually I don't wear clothing out but move on to something better suited and retire the old. However old kit usually starts to look a bit tired.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE