Failed Googlefu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
A long while ago, i watched a video on YouTube/Vimeo of an old forestry film, where they were topping and felling Redwoods out on the West Coast of the USA (I think).

I can distinctly remember a film of a chap shining up a tree, topping it with his axe and then sitting on the top having a cup of tea whilst looking out over the vista, ive managed to find similar black & white film of chaps climbing the trees and topping them, but not been able to find the one where he sits on the top of of the tree.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers ears

Reactions: zornt

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A few things stand out:
No mask on the axe or chainsaw blade. He obviously isn't worried about them slicing the rope (although I use similar rope for mooring and it takes a lot of cutting).
His speed of climbing is pretty incredible.
When cutting a limb, his rope is below the limb; he is obviously confident that a limb won't snag the rope and rip him off the tree.
When he tops the tree, he doesn't even wait for it to stop whipping about before climbing on top!

A china teacup!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
is this it? -

Thats the one :beerchug:

I had it in my mind that it was B&W and he used a double bit axe for some reason, id confused it with the other very similar one thats out there on youtube of climbing and topping, no wonder i couldn't find it, i was looking for the wrong thing, think they call it a brain fart ;)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I'm not entirely convinced he drank from a china teacup on top of the tree.
Still madness :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's another old one, called "From Stump To Dump." Sitka spruce on the west coast of British Columbia.
Cutoff about 36" diameter, he sits on the swaying top and rolls a smoke. Top it and drop it.
The log in my avatar is really crappy Douglasfir.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE