Cat litter recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ade C

Nov 11, 2017
Dudley
Just received my cheapo woodgas stove after reading about them on here. I'm planning on running it on wood pellet cat litter but anyone recommend a particular brand as I think some has glue in?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Where did the wood pellets come from? I burn 10,000 lbs per winter to heat my home.
I have done this for more than a decade. About 60% the cost of furnace oil.

Best here are SPF from Premium Pellet. Dougfir costs more for very little heat improvement.
I ask as Canada is a major source for pellets in Europe (and the UK?)

They have to be kept ultra dry. Once uncovered, even the bagged stock will pick up enough room humidity
that they burn poorly when 6 months old. I predict you will be disappointed if the pellet bag is not sealed tight
between uses. Damp, their fuel value is rubbish but still OK for the cat.

Pinnacle Pellet tried to scam everybody here 2-3 winters ago by selling pellet fuel stock with 5% sand.
Ash weights shot up. Mix with water and the sand settled out! I knew something was wrong with the
ash weight, first time I cleaned the stove. By then, big users were on the warpath.
I burned a ton then we all went back to Premium brand.

Ade C

Nov 11, 2017
Dudley
It's only a small camping stove which will take about a handful for about an hour's burn. I'll just try a couple of brands as it's very cheap for a bag.

Reactions: Robson Valley

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I buy the Tesco stuff, 4Kg bag iirc, lasts me forever taking a dog poo bag full out with me gives a good long slow burns and weighs next to nothing.

Ade C

Nov 11, 2017
Dudley
DSC_0890.jpgWent to BM bargains in the end. 5 litres for £1.29 and as you can see it burns fine. A small handful gave about 30 minutes so filling up would easily be over an hour I'd have thought

Reactions: Toddy

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
if you can find a wood pellet place for bio flue they might be even cheaper, but if you can sneak it under the vegetables in the trolley at tesco, it comes out of a different 'budget' and is therefor free:)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Do you mean when you accidentally forget there's something heavy on the underneath shelf of the trolley when you go through the checkout and only find out when loading into your car the feeling too embarrassed to take it back to pay for it. Again! Do you mean that kind of budget?

Never done that myself (more than a few times) honest!

Reactions: Monikieman

Ade C

Nov 11, 2017
Dudley
Blimey I thought I was tight but even I think just over a quid for several hours' worth of fuel is good value!
There's always sticks off the floor when the spiralling economy forces us back to hunter gathering

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here I sit, burning 35 - 45kg per 24hrs in the cold. And you need a handful?
It arrives as a 48" cube on a pallet, 50 x 40lb bags. Somehow, they get fluffed up
between the street and my downstairs kitchen, the stack becomes a 72" cube.

Thanks for the picture in P#8. How sooty is the flame?
My pellet stove has active air flow which runs like a small forge.
Never soot or charcoal.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Oh yeah, my stove is just a little bigger.
The bin on the back holds 100lbs or 2+ 40lb bags of pellets.
Yet the fire is no more than 6" wide x 2" front to back.

For your price, with dry pellets, must be a real convenience to operate.

I tried to use pellets as cat little one time.
I thought she was going to pee in the bed, just to get even with me.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I make a lot of wood shavings in the process of wood carving.
There are days when the cat appears to study the piles.
That all would not last 20 minutes in the pellet stove.

In the meantime, my wood pellet stove is eating 40kg+ /24hrs.

I buy cat sand = clay, laced with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
which is entirely suitable to her highness.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We tried burning sawdust, it's a flare up and then an airless clump of a mess. The cat pellets are like mini logs :)

If you want to use it look up how to make briquettes. Once made they can be smashed apart into lumps that work like mini coals.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE