Winter sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The DD Jura might be worth a glance.

I picked one up here from Diamond Dave who decided he prefers his Snugpak Chrysalis. Central zip, less bulky than the Army bags. I haven't taken it out in very cold yet, because I'm not daft enough to, but I had a night out in the hammock in fairly cold and slept well and warm. I'd certainly trust it to lower temps, but where we mainly hammock camp is the top of the South Downs, the wind can sweep up. Nothing that a bit of tarpology can't sort out, but it's a right pain if you wake up chilly and have to make changes in the night.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
+1 for Alpkit. I have the Mountain Ghost 300. This is their synthetic 3 season bag with a comfort rating of -5. It's certainly very warm and well made albeit perhaps a little snug if you're packing a bit of timber. I use the Brit Army arctic bag for when it's proper brass monkeys and I want to assure myself of a warm and cosy night. I used it last winter on a bivvy camp when temps dropped to -6. Granted, I sleep fairly warm anyway but, I ended up stripping down to my underpants because the bag was so warm! In my mind it was £25 very well spent and worth keeping in the closet if you want to be certain of a warm night.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Down is certainly a lot more compact and lighter. It's just the eye-watering price. If I could afford a nice RAB down bag, I'd have one but synthetic does me just fine and simply means that I usually take a 65ltr pack instead of a 40ltr.

As an aside, one thing I have done in the past is take a much more compact 2 season bag and use it in conjunction with some softy trousers and a cheap down jacket. I've found that combo works well. Those three items tend to pack into the rucksack a bit more efficiently.

Reactions: petrochemicals

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I give my son the Down British Army Arctic bag when he's away with the scouts, yes it's huge and heavy, but it's very warm and can take a reasonable amount of beating. I have a Jerven bag which I use, but I'll not give him that till he's older. I have a Marmot Down bag which was a gift and I've not really used it.

I think that for real cold, where it is snow all the time, down is better. However for cold hovering around freezing where it's just cold and wet, synthetics are more suitable.

lancs lad

Feb 4, 2014
lancaster
I really appreciate the tips I'm getting guys, very helpful indeed. I have to be honest the Arctic bag is a very attractive price it's just the size, but on the other hand it won't get used that much anyway I don't think. I also would like a down bag but they are so expensive. I could buy my own woodland for the price of some of those down winter bags :)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
'
If I could afford a nice RAB down bag, I'd have one but synthetic does me just fine and simply means that I usually take a 65ltr pack instead of a 40ltr.

But thats the point - why take a much bigger bag? There is a really good page explaining the pros and cons of each, but thanks to production in the Far East, down bags are now much cheaper in real terms than they used to be, and flash sales etc can bring down the cost still further. Its also worth looking on Ebay - you can get some good deals on used down bags, but you'll seldom find that many synthetic bags, because their resale value is much lower.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I use an BA 90 arctic bag and it's great, not that bulky for back packing........... and very effective and robust. Not the lightest either....but ok For the money (£30-£40), just superb.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
You could use a synthetic summer bag as a outer protection ( British Army Lightweight modular Sleeping bag 620g) for a down sleeping bag if worried about the damp , makes it very useful as a modular system.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Down is certainly a lot more compact and lighter. It's just the eye-watering price. If I could afford a nice RAB down bag, I'd have one but synthetic does me just fine and simply means that I usually take a 65ltr pack instead of a 40ltr.

As an aside, one thing I have done in the past is take a much more compact 2 season bag and use it in conjunction with some softy trousers and a cheap down jacket. I've found that combo works well. Those three items tend to pack into the rucksack a bit more efficiently.

Goo dpoint. Clothes as insulation is a good option, as long as you keep them clean and fresh. Insulated trousers are big on there own, so if your taking those anyway it will cut the bulk significantly.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I was checking out those carinthia 4 bags they look like a good bit of kit. Are the capable of dealing with our winters?
Another one for the Defence Four, I have had one for three years and it gets used regularly throughout the year. Another option is the new issue "intermediate sleeping", its basically a copy of the Defence four (with the addition of internal mesh chest pockets. Slightly bulkier than the defence four and slightly warmer too. The other advantage is it can be paired with the new Warm Weather bag (for extreme cold - think Norway ) or used separately , giving a year round option. I have used all parts of the system and it is very good.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a couple of Arctic bags, was given one for my wife as she sleeps cold, then bought myself one for winter hammocking.
Make sure you get the compression bag too and you’ll be surprised how small you can make it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lancs lad

Feb 4, 2014
lancaster
Well folks I put an offer of 25 quid on an arctic bag on ebay and surprisingly it was accepted so it looks like I'll be using the Arctic bag this winter. To be honest I'm quite pleased because for 25 quid it's a steal and I won't be worried about damaging it, I may even try out bivvy bag camping with it as I've never used a bivvy bag. Thanks for all the comments gents it's been a real help. Much appreciated

lancs lad

Feb 4, 2014
lancaster
Well f chaps I've received my arctic bag 2 days after buying it from eBay and I have to say I'm very impressed.it's in absolute mint condition, if I had to guess I'd actually say it was an understanding issued bag. They are definitely a cosy bag, can't hide from the fact they are quite bulky but I'm willing to accept that for how cheap and robust this bag feels. If anyone else is in the same predicament I was I would definitely recommend an arctic bag. Thanks again folks
Chris

Linc

Nov 2, 2017
Maine
Hello friends,
I think you would like to know some awesome tips to get sleeping bag warmer, such as:
  • Dress right
  • Boil your way to warmth
  • Carry with you your air mattress
  • Wash your old sleeping bag
  • Wear thermals
  • Add to your sleeping bag a thermal liner
  • Share a tent
  • An additional blanket will serve you
This is the detailed article: Important Tips You Will Need to Keep Your Sleeping Bag Warmer
Hope it helps

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
If anyone is considering an Arctic 90 bag (and why not, brilliant bit of kit for the money) have a look at Forces Uniform and Kit: they are selling the Dutch M90 bag...similar but better? for £40 and the Arctic 90 for an incredible £25 or something.
The Dutch bag amongst it's one or two small improvements has a liner that poppers in, and therefore you don't get tied up in knots!!
I can also vouch for it's warmth, used the other night (decent frost) in a lavvu, light clothing....not a shiver.

https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/c...ther-military-sleeping-bag-dutch-army-surplus

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE