XGauze - Thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Well, not that particular product but I have been using various clotting and expanding sponges for decades. Those are resorbable.

I am unsure how this product is meant to be used. Outside a wound? Packed into a deep wound?

Nov 23, 2017
stirling
This is an expanding gauze clearly intended for wound packing. The z folds are to ease and speed up the packing process. Impressive expansion.
As a former Combat Medic, current Offshore and Paramedic, like Janne I have used many variations/brands of similar products.It is unclear from sales bumf if this product also contains a desirable haemostatic agent like chitosan, like that used in Celox Z-fold gauze. I have asked for clarification from manufacturer. It may rely on expansion alone.
This is not intended for paper cuts or centre body mass injuries!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You as a CM, have you used the system they have where you inject the expanding ( + hemostatic?) granules into a wound canal?

It looks very interesting, I guess there are more manufacturers of it.

I think they do a bit of false information, as (as you correctly write) it needs to be inserted into a wound.
Not something to be done by not trained people.

To use them as a normal bandage is wasted money.

I am an Dental/Oral Surgeon and use the 'foams' to stem bleeding in bone defects (after surgery).

Hyper important to have a 100% clean, sterile and debris free cavity as these foams/agents can cause a nice infectious site.
I and many of my colleagues have requested the manufacturers add an antibiotic to the foams, but we got the answer they will not, as legal issues can arise in case patient is or becomes sensitive/allergic.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017
stirling
Janne
If you mean the Celox A applicator, yes I have, Very effective, still needs pressure though. It contains the normal Celox haemostatic granules (not expanding sponges). The syringe applicator enables the MEDIC to get the granules to the point of the bleed more effectively than pouring it in and is easier/quicker to use in some circumstances than wound packing in certain injuries,

I have also seen a prototype of the xstat system when working with an American colleage working for the DEA in a foreign land.
Its the one that uses small sponges, At that time it had not been approved for general medical use, but it did work well on wounds too big for the Celox A. The Xstat coming in two sizes.

With Celox (round) bandages it is a common civilian layman mistake to use the haemostat impregnated bandage as exactly that, a bandage! Its proper use is to pack wound to bleed site, ie IN IT not over it, secure AND then apply pressure for at least 3m. You are correct saying use as a bandage is wasted. Indeed the civilian medical profession in many places took a lot of training to use as intended and not as a bandage wasting its haemostatic properties.

You will appreciate in a tactical environment that sterile is something hard to achieve, where priority is to stop bleeding and the subsequent complications until medevac. Chitosan has a mild antibacterial property anyway. Infection control is not really a CMTs priority, more Offshore medic hat

I have used foams, indeed for dental issues on a yacht! i can see the advantage of an attached antibiotic too although there will always be contras..

I think we are both agreed, there is no point having anything in your bushcraft FAK if you do not know or have training to use it. I spend a lot of time now running courses on proper use of these products.

Knowledge is the lightest, most effective item in any kit.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Merely interested in the applied experience of the new medical Tech Janne. Not looking to purchase. Just looking to study.

Nov 23, 2017
stirling
Merely interested in the applied experience of the new medical Tech Janne. Not looking to purchase. Just looking to study.
Got this back from manufacturer

Thank you for your interest in RevMedx and XGAUZE. XGAUZE does not contain any hemostatic agents, it is purely pressure from the minisponges that stops bleeding.

I hope this answers your question, please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any further questions.

Best,

Kate Weber

Sales and Marketing Coordinator

RevMedx

With the kind of expansion pictured in the sales blurb, this should be pretty effective. How fast it expands would determine how suitable it would be for emergency response compared to hospital care (eg non emergency bleeding after surgery).

Instant/fast expansion would make this suitable for a front line dressing, if slow expansion I would prefer to use a haemostat impregnated gauze.
I have asked for some samples to try, Will update

Fine technical research and advancement for sure.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
So the expansion stills the bleeding.

On extremity wounds, in my days we had to apply a torniquet above the wound to stop heavy bleeding. And release the pressure from time to time.

I guess techniques have changed?

Nov 23, 2017
stirling
Yes Janne. The packed z gauze expands into the cavity and applys direct pressure to slow/stop the blood flow at the point of the bleed to allow clotting to take place. Pressure on top of the packing , manually or with a suitable pressure dressing will likely still be required.

Avoiding the tourniquet debate minefield. Yes protocals have changed.

What if the wound is in an area that a tourniquet could not be applied?
This could be an ideal solution.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE