Mead "Brew Along" tutorial - recipe 1 - "Sack" Mead

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is a recipe for traditional sack mead. It is highly honey flavoured and not as dry as some less traditional meads. It can be considered a great drink on its own or as the basis recipe for more complex brews.

I will update this post as we go as proper, chemical free, mead making takes up to a year in fermentation and another year in the bottle (minimum) before drinking.

To make this recipe you will need

Ingredients

3lbs of light honey
1 tsp of acid blend (covered later)
1 tsp of pectic enzyme
1 tsp of wine yeast
1 tsp of yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp of grape tannin
3/4 pint of orange juice

Equipment

(Now)

Large stainless steel pan
Sieve
Sheet of muslin / clean tea towel
2 gallon or larger lidded plastic fermenting vessel
Jam Jar
Plain unscented bleach

(Later)

Demijohn
Bung
Airlock
Siphon tube
Funnel

(Much Later)

Corking gun or mallet / dowel
Corks
Wine Bottles
Finings

Explanations and substitutes

Yeast nutrient

Honey is a very pure product. Whilst that is good, it means it can lack some things needed for good fermentation. Some trace nutrients yeast needs are simply not present. Yeast nutrient is added to fix this in mead. If yeast nutrient is not available, boil up a teaspoon of bread yeast in a cup of water for a few minutes. This kills the bread yeast. The wine yeast will consume the nutrients it needs from the bread yeast (yeast is cannibalistic).

Acid Blend

Yeast likes a slightly acid environment. Honey and water do not provide this. Brewers use a blend of mallic, citric and tartaric acid to create this. If you don't have this, substitute a tablespoon of lemon juice for each teaspoon of acid blend.

Acid blend ingredients by British Red, on Flickr

Tannin

Tannin just gives mead a little bite. It can be bought in powder form (from grape skins). If you don't have it, add a tablespoon of very strong tea, a handful of raisins - or even some oak leaves.

Tannin by British Red, on Flickr

Pectic Enzyme

Pectin is the stuff that make jam set. It is found in nature (particularly in some fruits). Pectin in drinks tends to make them cloudy or hazy. Pectic enzyme breaks the pectin down into sugar and it is simply fermented out. There is no real substitute for pectic enzyme, but leaving it out won't harm the taste of mead - it may be a little cloudy though.

Acid blend and pectolase by British Red, on Flickr

Cleanliness

It is vitally important to clean your brewing and fermenting vessels well and sterilise them thoroughly. One fly carrying aceto bacteria, one mould spore can ruin two years of effort here. Just get stuff clean. There are allsorts of posh cleaners - but none work any better than plain unscented bleach. Scrub your buckets and demijohns clean, then put about an eggcup full of bleach in, fill with water and wait for half an hour. Pour away the bleach and rinse thoroughly.

Bleach Demijohn by British Red, on Flickr

Bleach Brewing Bucket by British Red, on Flickr

Fermenting Bucket

When you are doing your initial fermentation of the mead, its helpful to do it in a large food grade plastic bucket. You can get lidded buckets from home brew shops - but if you ask nicely at your local bakery, they may give you one that had icing sugar in (the bucket needs a close fitting lid or vinegar flies will get in). Heck pelleted chicken manure comes in the perfect sized bucket from garden centres (wash well though :)).

There is a problem though - when the ferment is going on it gives off carbon dioxide. This will pop off the lid when pressure builds up. To avoid this happening you can fit an airlock through a grommet - or just pierce a few tiny holes with a hot pin

Pierce hole by British Red, on Flickr

Large fermenter with airlock by British Red, on Flickr

When you have sorted the lid and sterilised the bucket, measure one gallon of water into the bucket. Mark a line on the outside of the bucket where the liquid comes up to. This will help later to ensure you make up the right total quantity of liquid for your mead (posh brewing buckets come with these lines printed)

Mark 1 gallon by British Red, on Flickr

Yeast Starter Culture

In order to get your ferment off to a good start, we need to bring the dried yeast back to life. This means re-hydrating it and getting it starting to breed and ferment.

To do this put about three quarters of a pint of orange juice in a large jar and bring it up to room temperature. Add a teaspoon of wine yeast and a teaspoon of yeast nutrient and give it a stir.

Yeast, nutrient and orange juice starter culture by British Red, on Flickr

Leave this aside for a couple of hours - it should bubble and smell yeasty - this shows your yeast is active

Starter culture by British Red, on Flickr

tend to do this before starting other aspects of brewing as it takes a while to get going.

Preparing the honey

Honey has "stuff" in it. Beeswax, pollen, bee crap, allsorts. That's fine on toast, but not in brewing, so we need to sort that.

First up set a large stainless or enamel pan on your stove, and boil the kettle.

Take three pound jars of honey

3lbs honey by British Red, on Flickr

Pour a jar of honey into the pan, then wash the jar out twice with hot water, pouring the water into the pan

Boiling water by British Red, on Flickr

Stir the honey and water together, light the stove and bring to a simmer.

A "froth" will form as the liquid gently simmers - this is small particles of wax etc. coming to the surface

Foam on honey by British Red, on Flickr

Skim off the foam with a metal spoon

Skim foam by British Red, on Flickr

Simmer the honey for 15 minutes and then leave to cool

Making the must

When the honey and water mix has cooled, line a sieve with a few layers of muslin (or a clean tea towel)

Muslin on sieve by British Red, on Flickr

Pour the honey mixture into the fermenting bucket through the cloth. The cloth will catch any little bits of wax etc.

Filtered honey by British Red, on Flickr

Poured honey and water by British Red, on Flickr

Now add 1/4 tsp of tannin, 1tsp of acid blend and 1 tsp of pectic enzyme to the must

Tannin, acid blend and pectolase by British Red, on Flickr

Then stir the yeast starter culture and pour it into the must

Pour starter into mead by British Red, on Flickr

Now check the level of the liquid

1 gallon mark by British Red, on Flickr

Top the liquid up to 1 gallon and put the lid on. Label the lid in wipe clean pen if you are going to make several types

Label Vanilla by British Red, on Flickr

Now put your brewing bucket somewhere warm. Tiled floors can "suck the heat out", so if putting on a tiled floor, stand the bucket on some insulation (cardboard is fine). You want to keep the must warm but not hot. Don't put it in the airing cupboard - just somewhere pleasantly warm.

Brewing enthusiasts use heater pads to stand the bucket on to keep the temperature constant

Heater Pads by British Red, on Flickr

That's it for getting the ferment going - after an hour - certainly by the next morning - there should be a deep head of bubbles forming and a lovely smell

Sack mead fermenting by British Red, on Flickr

....more as we progress

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They all work. Montrachet is excellent as is Champagne - a yeast with a high alcohol tolerance is preferred

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Dammit, why wasn't this here a month ago!!!!!

Still it's comforting to know the steps I followed are fairly similar and certain substitutes like lemon juice and raisins seem right.

Keep it up, I'm dying to see how things progress.

Hamster

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well the first boisterous ferment is over - just a gentle fizzing remains (and no foam on top of the must), so its time to "rack off" the brew. Racking off is simply siphoning the liquid off the settled sediment. A simple piece of flexible tube is all that's needed, but a tap at one end helps.

Put the brewing vessel up high (on a kitchen worktop for example) and the demijohn down low (on the floor).

Put one end of the tube into the liquid (but not on top of the sediment)

Siphon Tube by British Red, on Flickr

Suck the tube full of liquid and jam your thumb over the hole (or close the tap). Put the thumb and tube over the demijohn, remove the thumb (or open the tap) and let the liquid flow

Siphon Outlet by British Red, on Flickr

The whole arrangement looks like this

Siphon Setup by British Red, on Flickr

Fill each demijohn to the shoulder, label it and fit a bung and airlock

Labelled Demijohn by British Red, on Flickr

By carefully tilting the brewing vessel, the sediment can be left and the mead drawn off

Sediment by British Red, on Flickr

Now we leave to it ferment for several months.....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
After a month of fermenting , we have a lot of yeast sediment in the demijohn.

Mead sediment by British Red, on Flickr

To rack off any old tube would do. However a good siphon makes it easier - I like this sort - £2.50 in Wilkos

Siphon by British Red, on Flickr

The great advantage of this siphon type is that the tube has an inversion on the bottom. This means you can stand the siphon on the sediment without sucking up the yeast and gunk. If you are using plain tubing, use a clothes peg at the neck of the demijohn to prevent the pipe touching the sediment.

To siphon, simply put a clean, sterilised demijohn on the floor, the full one on the kitchen counter and suck mead into the pipe then close the tap (or just stick your thumb over the end for a simple tube). Put the other end in the neck of the empty demijohn and open the tap.

Mead Siphoning by British Red, on Flickr

Towards the end of the siphoning, its helpful to tilt the demijohn to get all the mead out

Lean Demijohn by British Red, on Flickr

Eventually all the mead will be transferred leaving the sediment. Rinse out the original demijohn

Leave sediment by British Red, on Flickr

You can then return the mead to the original (washed) container - I do this because I write racking dates etc. on the label.

Funnel into original by British Red, on Flickr

I've now tucked the demijohns away and will rack again at the three month point.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad you liked it - I am doing a strawberry melomel and a vanilla metheglin (flavoured meads) at the same time. The strawberry smelled fantastic whilst racking off - I have high hopes for them. I do find I prefer meads with a little fruit or spice.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I sterilise them at the beginning - but when "racking off" I don't re-sterilise them - just rinse them out.

Sterilising is done with an eggcup full of pain unscented bleach, fill with water, leave 30 minutes and rinse well

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Four months into the mead making process now and another "racking" is in order. Almost all fermentation should have completed by now, so if you wish to use finings, now is the time to add them

You can see that the demijohns are visibly clearer

Mead in Demijohns by British Red, on Flickr

However using a sight glass shows us that they still need a final polish

Mead clarity by British Red, on Flickr

I will add finings at this stage, but it is quite possible to make your own or just rack repeatedly.

In a couple of months (six months brewing in total) or sooner, we should be able to move on to bottling

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The finings have worked quickly so today it was time to bottle

First things first, I sterilised the bottles with a splash of unscented bleach, fill with water, leave for 30 mins and rinse well

Sterilise Bottles by British Red, on Flickr

The mead was siphoned off from the sediment into clear, sterilised demijohns

Rack off mead by British Red, on Flickr

The sediment settled out is discarded

Sediment by British Red, on Flickr

The mead, whilst clear, is not as polished as I would like

Still cloudy by British Red, on Flickr

This could be allowed to settle again - but I have wine filters - so I ran the mead through a wine filter

Wine filter by British Red, on Flickr

If you look at the photo of the filter, you can see the pipe in the top (pre-filtration) demijohn showing it is fairly clear.

However after filtering, it is beautifully polished

Polished Mead by British Red, on Flickr

A simple funnel serves to pour the filtered mead into sterilised bottles

Fill Bottles by British Red, on Flickr

Normally I cork using a corking gun - but a simple dowel and mallet or hammer will put in a cork perfectly well

Basic corking tools by British Red, on Flickr

Corked Mead by British Red, on Flickr

To give a better seal and more professional appearance, I them apply a "shrink cap" - this is a bit like a heat shrink wrapper or insulation

Shrink Cap by British Red, on Flickr

Pop them on the bottle necks

Shrink caps on bottles by British Red, on Flickr

Plunge the bottle and shrink cap into boiling water for a few seconds

Shrink cap heated by British Red, on Flickr

..and the cap shrinks onto the bottle neck

Shrink cap in place by British Red, on Flickr

Then just add a label

Labels by British Red, on Flickr

Box the mead up

Mead in case by British Red, on Flickr

...and wait a year before drinking (if you can)!

That really is the whole mead making process - 3-6 months to brew, then wait to drink if you can.

Red

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I've followed your recipe Mr Red, just this afternoon transferred to the clean demijohn stage. Now to put away for three months, do they need to be put someplace warm? dark even?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE