Fjallraven query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've got an Anorak No8 that uses G-1000 in places that might take in water, shoulders, elbow, bum. I'll warn you, G-1000 is hopeless waterproofing, it's designed more for snow. I haven't proofed mine with Greenland wax, but I think I'll have to. I did a Peto handbag for my wife that was looking dry so I'll tell you to be ready to buy another bar, and put several laborious hours aside to coat it effectively.

In snow, or dry cold, Fjallraven is very good, nice and quiet with good/medium breathability for less arduous task, but my feeling with it here in the UK is it's priced for its breathtaking looks and cool factor rather than practicality.

But, I love my Anorak No8, because it makes me both cool, and breathtaking. :bigok:

Last edited:
Reactions: Statts

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i've done a couple of threads on this already. In a nut shell, i use a mix of both aG1000 wax and a spray nikwax (for wax jackets). I have a Serak (now the Singi) and it is awesome. It does come pre-waxed but, as Nice has said, it won't hold out much in our climate. I've layered up the coatings over time and now its as waterproof as my old ventile jacket. On the down side, it does loose some of its breathability, so i don't treat the under arms as often, to allow a bit more airflow.
G1000 is a bit like marmite, you either get on with it or you don't..
Hope you like it.

Statts

Nov 9, 2016
Tynemouth
www.forested.org.uk
Thanks for your replies. I'll buy some Greenland wax to add to the proofing in the appropriate areas. I run hot when walking so breathability is important. I've got an army surplus lightweight MVP jacket I'll wear under it if it's stotting down.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Monikieman,
The Nikwax spray, is like a very light version of the wax on wax jackets. It doesn't leave a waxy residue. On its own, makes the material water repellent (a bit like the G1000 wax), but, when combined, they seem to work very well. My jacket is still soft but has a light waxy sheen now but it keeps me dry.
Also, to save money, i make my own version of G1000 wax. Just paraffin wax (90%) and bees wax (10%). Easy to make, just melt together in a bain marie and let set. Done!

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I own many Fjällräven products. Despite the increasing cost....but that’s another issue.
Including the singi jacket you speak of.

For the Scottish weather (35oC, dry arid climate), quite frankly I find waxing the products almost pointless. I did a double coating / triple on knees and seat on my Vidda pro trousers last winter before a hill trek.

I kid you not, it was like wearing a plastic bag. My legs were soaked in sweat so much I had to roll them up at points.

If ANYTHING. I’d say it increases the materials wind stopping ability more than its water absorption. After 3-4 hours poly-cotton is going to be soaking waxed or not.

I wear them unwaxed all the time now. As the material has a much more useful property. Fast drying.

The fabric is great. Just not wet weather gear. Simple as that.

Wear a fleece / wool layer under it rather than wax it to sweaty oblivion.

PS. A gentle wax layer gives a garment a very “worn in” look after a wear. Just to be aware of before you wax the entire jacket!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE