Chair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ash chair that i made before i became ill.

DSCN0467a by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

All of the components where made by hand from larger Ash logs & poles, cleaved initially then rounded with a draw knife and then a rounding plane, tenons were cut with a Veritas tenon cutter, the seat is upholstered in jute webbing and has an upholstery foam core, the back of the chair utilises the natural curve of the timber.

It's still going strong to this day, albeit as a stool as the back was a little too upright to be comfortable, so i cut it down and made it into a stool.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
A very handsome piece of furniture! I would be happy to have something like that in my own home.
Much better than some of the mass produced tat that masquerades as modern furniture!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Did you paint the jute or find some which came that color?
Care to tell us your choice of glue?

Veritas manufactured tennon cutters, I see. Reliable and always of predictable quality.
I do love that chair, the way the tennons come through. Not blind. Nice touch.

I use a variety of Veritas measuring instruments in carving.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Did you paint the jute or find some which came that color?
Care to tell us your choice of glue?

Veritas manufactured tennon cutters, I see. Reliable and always of predictable quality.
I do love that chair, the way the tennons come through. Not blind. Nice touch.

I use a variety of Veritas measuring instruments in carving.

Its just natural upholstery jute from Amazon, no paint or anything like that, just as it came off the roll, glue was Evostick waterproof wood glue.

Reactions: Robson Valley
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Very nice.

If you dont already know, apparently theres an entire art to just to the making of ash chairs. I went to a shop in Bishops castle where the bloke there (retired sparky) took to making a living from green wood ash chairs. Apparently he says you quater your wood, make them green and the warpage in drying holds the chair together.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Very nice.

If you dont already know, apparently theres an entire art to just to the making of ash chairs. I went to a shop in Bishops castle where the bloke there (retired sparky) took to making a living from green wood ash chairs. Apparently he says you quater your wood, make them green and the warpage in drying holds the chair together.

Cheers mate.

I use that method all the time, if you get it right you dont need any glue, nails or blind wedges, i use well seasoned stretchers but green wood legs, as the wood dries it shrinks around the tenon gripping it ever tighter, if it's right you cannot pull the joint apart.

Its the method i used to make these stools, the stretchers are well seasoned hazel, the legs on the left hand one and the top one are Ash, the one on the right uses Hazel, Ash has a very low moisture content so the joints tightened up quite quickly, the hazel one took a lot longer to dry because of the greater moisture content in the wood, still gave a good solid joint when it all dried out though.

DSCN5905A by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Reactions: petrochemicals

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE