Bahco axe refurb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Bought myself a cheap Bahco hatchet with a mind to doing it up as something to do more than anything, project pics below

as it was received, ghastly varnished finish, thick helve and blunt as a soggy sponge.

Bahco1 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

First job, strip all the paint and varnish off with acetone and give it a light sanding/scrape

Bahco2 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

next job, take some of the meat out of the handle and reshape it, i like to have an axe handle just so thick that when i hold it just below the head i can just tickle the palm of my hand with the tips of fingers, i find this cuts down on hand fatigue and is something that i picked up on from an article that Sean Hellman wrote on his blog some time ago.

bahco3 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Bahco4 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Once i had the helve carved down to suit my hand, gave it a really good sharpen up and stained it with Briwax (Dark Oak)

Bahco5 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Also made a wooden mask for it from old pine offcuts that i had hanging around the workshop, this has since been refined in shape and stained Dark Oak as well.

axesheath by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys, was a fun project, tbh the Bahco is not a bad little carving axe once you get a decent edge on it, i know there have been alleged issues with the steel quality, one prominent YouTuber went into one about it, but since ive done this up ive not had any issues with chipping or rolling and ive carved some pretty dry and seasoned woods with it, its now one of my go to axes out in the workshop.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Nice! Make you wonder why they feel the need too cover it in that orange gunk in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Got to make it look pretty for the sheeple;)

Probably to assist in finding the tool when you put it down in the woods. Lots of forestry guys (including myself) paint their handles bright colours as more often than not you cant find them and spend ages trying to remember where you put the thing (happens all the time when you are coppicing!) Actually not too bad an idea in practice, especially as Bahco actively market these tools to the industry. Got to agree though, you have done a cracking job, well done!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Probably to assist in finding the tool when you put it down in the woods. Lots of forestry guys (including myself) paint their handles bright colours as more often than not you cant find them and spend ages trying to remember where you put the thing (happens all the time when you are coppicing!) Actually not too bad an idea in practice, especially as Bahco actively market these tools to the industry. Got to agree though, you have done a cracking job, well done!

I know that feeling when out in the woods coppicing, an axe or hook handle soon takes on the appearance of just another stick when it's misplaced, mind you the old boy that taught me would soon turn the air blue if he saw you lay a tool on the ground.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE