A quick necker sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've been meaning for ages to make a simple neck sheath for my Enzo Necker.

I still need to dye it. Probably oil walnut, but I'm totally out of dye.

09ixD1j.jpg

I'm running out of leather, so it just fit.

9JhKw3E.jpg

I was thinking a press stud, but noticed I had a Sam Brown stud and thought that would look better.

vTY6OLp.jpg

All the holes done. I used 2 awls, a 1mm round one and the great Woodlore one to open either side a bit more to fit the 1mm cotton. I used a bit of beeswax on the thread and tip of the awl to get through the three, 3mm thicknesses of leather.

hpPKFNW.jpg

I'm also down to my last needle so basically did saddle stitch, but went one way and back again.

zHLpc1m.jpg

Scq5D18.jpg

dLexAQe.jpg

And I also made a nice new 25cm long strop using an off cut of a tinderbox I'm having a go at making.

Wcuh4Fu.jpg

The old one still works but is getting long in the tooth.

Reactions: Toddy and zornt

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i like that, as above, keep it natural and let time and tide colour it for you.

Reactions: Amon81

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice work. Have a few things i need to make but keep putting it off. Your pics have spurred me on, ta. :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That's quite smart. For me it'll look nicer after a few months or so, it looks too new atm, I like things that have been beaten up a little as it shows history and every scratch, scrap and dent has it's own story. Nice job. And I like the number of photos taken as it shows the process of the build.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks all!

That actually one thing I like to see is progression of a project. I think it helps people who might like to try something to see you don't need loads of tools and hopefully get inspired to give it a go.

Also if you like aged stuff, this was the very first leather thing I made 15 years ago. Its holding up nicely as it lives in my tool box normally.

QbFg54g.jpg

Reactions: Hunkyfunkster

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Burnish it and I teat all my leather with good old simple kiwi clear boot polish.

I light the boot polish to melt it and very liberally apply it with some kitchen roll. I let it sink in and buff the life out of it after.

That seems to do the job.

Reactions: Toddy

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
That's a good point I bet it would too!

I just use the good old clear Kiwi stuff, I know that has a good amount of Carnauba wax in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE